Pages

Monday 28 October 2013

Vintage Prop & Home Decor

Happy Monday Everyone!

Over the summer, as some of you may know, I was in several farmer's and craft markets. Many people would approach my tent merely because they were fascinated by my display. I would often get asked where I would get my vintage props and display items. As I did not have a blog before, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to address these questions in more detail!




First of all, I am an avid Etsy shopper. Most of my display and props come from Etsy. Yes shipping can be very high for the larger and heavier items but most of the time they are items that I have been unsuccessful in finding in local antique and vintage stores or the original price + shipping is lower than what I would pay in the antique shop. As well, it saves you the trouble of looking in dozens of stores (which counts for something when you don't have a lot of spare time on your hands).

Here are some of my favourite etsy shops that I have bought antique items from:

I got my lovely green piece of luggage from here. 

I'm in love with my vintage scale! It makes a great decor item on a book shelf or you can even use it to display jewelry like I do.

These rustic cabinets are actually meant for the kitchen (as you can see above) but I use them to hang jewelry. I think the shelf on the right would even make for a great perfume display! They are not actually "antique" per se but they have a great vintage inspired appearance. Shipping was quite high but they make for a great statement piece.


Other places to check out vintage and vintage inspired home decor and props:
  1. Home Sense
  2. Michaels
  3. Your local antique shop. My tip for you is don't turn down items that may have great potential. If the price is right sometimes a simple coat of new paint is all that an item may need! Look past any flaws that an item may have because those little details can be changed. For example you may find a beautiful antique chair with a stain on the fabric or painted a color that does not work with your decor. If you love the chair enough you can simply reupholster or repaint the chair in a color or fabric of your choosing.
  4. Charlie Ford: Great antique items from all over the world! She also shows you some amazing ways that you can decorate your house with these items.

Below are some antique shops around Edmonton. I have not been to them all however.

Old Strathcona Antique Mall


www.oldstrathconamall.com
Google+ page
10323 - 78 Ave
Edmonton
(780) 433-0398

Corysia Antiques


www.classiceuropeanantiques.com
Google+ page
13314 126 Ave NW #2
Edmonton
(780) 482-4414
6814 104 St NW
Edmonton
(780) 757-6777

Plum Home + Design


www.plumhomeanddesign.com
Google+ page
12407 108 Avenue
Edmonton
(780) 488-7586
10447 124 St NW
Edmonton
(780) 705-8505

Rocky Mountain Antique Mall


rockymountainantiquemall.ca
Google+ page
7025 Gateway Blvd NW
Edmonton
(780) 485-0020

My Grandma's Attic Ltd


www.mygrandmasattic.ca
1 Google review
12754 Fort Rd NW
Edmonton
(780) 757-1887










Hope you have found this post helpful!

I would love to see how you have used vintage items in your own decor.

Haiku Lane


No comments:

Post a Comment